The magic of theatre



My first ever job was in a theatre. I was fourteen years old and worked front-of-house at the Theatre Royal in Bath. I worked Friday and Saturday night - and often the Saturday matinee – until I was eighteen. I never did manage to see the theatre’s famous ‘Grey Lady’, but I did once bump into a bewildered Lauren Bacall in the stalls and point her in the direction of the dressing rooms.

I loved my job. We would work in short, intense bursts: the cloakroom, the tickets, the drinks orders, the ice creams... and then, there would be a lull. And I would sneak into the back of the stalls and watch the show. I could only ever see the same bits of any given play. Never the beginning. And never the pre-interval “cliff hanger” moment. But if I had my wits about me, I could usually hang on and see the end.

I have no doubt, looking back, that that early contact with theatre had a huge impact on the rest of my life. On the route I took; on the choices I made. Those years I spent catching tantalising glimpses of literally hundreds of plays are the reason I chose to do Theatre Studies at A-level. And why, when I went on to read English at university, I ‘steered’ my degree as much towards the work of playwrights as the rather traditional curriculum would allow me. And when my love of theatre morphed slowly into a passion for film, it seems fitting that I should end up working as a script supervisor. I wonder, do I take such delight in a well-structured script because I had to ‘piece together’ so many incomplete ones in the early days?!

Given all this, I don’t know why I’m so taken aback when I see theatre working its magic on the kids we teach in our workshops. I spend enough of my time talking to parents about the benefits of kids committing to a project or working in a group or facing their fears (and an audience) on stage, I shouldn’t – logically speaking – get so exhilarated when I see kids step out onto a stage for the first time – and change forever. But it is one thing to know something, intellectually, and quite another to witness the reality. 

Take our first workshop, for example. None of the kids had ever taken part in a drama project before and there came a point – with the end just coming into sight - when it became a struggle to keep them motivated. They got distracted and messed around. And I started to worry – as you do – that we had bitten off more than we could chew. I knew instinctively that they would understand once they finally stepped out in front of that audience - the adrenaline rush, the applause! - but I wasn’t prepared for the transformation that took place when the moment came. The kids had their first taste of the magic ...and they got it. Forever. I’m not saying their behaviour has always been perfect in subsequent workshops (!), but we now only ever experience ‘darkest-before-dawn syndrome’ in new kids that sign up.

We’ve seen kids transformed on a personal level too. We have seen more than one father in tears as they watched their son or daughter on stage – more used to seeing them in the headmaster’s office than the limelight. And have looked on in amazement as one particularly shy boy slowly ‘unfurled’ before our very eyes. We’ve watched a mother swell with pride as her autistic 4-year-old son found his mark on the floor - and stood on it. And we have watched naturally boisterous boys taking great care not to break their props.

I have no way of knowing whether these kids will grow up – as I did – feeling that theatre has had an impact on their lives, has formed them or changed them in some way. But I do know that teaching theatre to them – giving them, at the very least, a taste of the magic - is immensely rewarding. And it has (once again) changed me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My Photo
We run theatre workshops for kids in the Alpujarra mountains in southern Spain. Helped by a group of very willing parents (!), we write our own scripts for stage productions of well known stories or songs... or we make up our own material. Our plays are based on music, movement & dance and we aim to help teach kids to work as a group, to commit to a project, to boost confidence and to overcome shyness. Somos una grupo de madres y padres aficionados al teatro que lleva más de tres años trabajando con niños de La Alpujarra en Granada (España). A través del teatro tratamos de enseñar a los niños a trabajar en grupo, a explorar su creatividad y a vencer la timidez. Trabajando siempre con guiones originales, nuestras obras se basan en los colores, la música y la expresión corporal.

This is a blog about a crazy idea. We want to build a theatre!
The idea is to build a little open air theatre in the Alpujarra mountains in southern Spain - and to one day organise a really cool alternative theatre festival there.

It's a big plan (and it's a bit scary as plans go). But we have the backing of the mayor and a great site for the theatre. So we're not doing too badly. Now we just need to do the rest (gulp!)....

Followers


Recent Comments